Search Engine Optimization is the application of various strategies to increase the likelihood that your web site, rather than your competitors’, will achieve top placement in the search results when someone searches on a keyword or phrase related to your product or service.
How do I undertake search engine optimize for my Web site?
- You should fine tune your Web site to its optimum if it is to be successful.
- A well-managed Web site will be a pleasure for your visitor.
- The site should have:
- valuable content on every page.
- simple and clear navigation that is intuitive to use.
- links that function.
- pages that download quickly.
- visually pleasing pages.
- a theme that is clear to follow.
- one or two keywords only for every page.
- Each page should have a page title with the main keyword(s) for the page included.
- Include keywords in META Description and META Keywords.
- Graphics should have an Alt- tag preferably including the keywords.
- Have links within your Web site to the main pages.
- Seek reciprocal links with related Web sites.
- The pages should be search engine robot friendly.
- Interactivity preferably with feedback forms for your visitors.
- The quality of the pages can be checked with your authoring program and the links can be checked with a Web promoting package such as Addweb.
Choosing a Web Designer
- Plan your Web site carefully.
- Decide what you are looking for.
- Do some Web searches to see what your competitors have put on their Web sites. Do not copy but use their experience to guide you.
- Compare the Web sites of several designers.
- If you are planning a large site then there may be some advantage in finding a designer nearby but otherwise you can deal with your chosen designer over the internet. If you are planning an e-commerce Web site you are likely to need a long-term working relationship with the designer.
- As you home in on a short list of designers, give each a call to see how helpful they seem to be.
- Ask the designers for a portfolio so that you can compare.
- Tell your potential designer what your site is all about and what you hope to achieve by putting it on the Internet.
- Navigation on Web sites is extremely important. Check that the designer employs good navigation techniques? Try out some of the sites in his or her portfolio and carefully examine how easy it is for you to navigate around the site and find specific pieces of information.
- Ensure that your Web designer is not prone to overelaborate with graphics. It is the task of Web designers to optimize each Web design for high Search Engine ranking. Graphics take a relatively long time for the pages to load and if used excessively you may lose visitors.
- The author has explored hundreds of professional Web site designer’s sites and ranked them according to the quality of their own sites, as well as the Web sites that they have designed and included in their on-line portfolios. Recommended Web site designers can be found in Web Designers Directory 1, Web_Designers_Directory 2, and Web Designers Directory 3 in the navigation bar on the left.
- Shop around. Web Site Designers will generally provide you with a ball-park figure provided you can tell them some details of the Web site you would want them to build.
- Determine in advance additional service that you may require. This might include a Logo design or advice and execution for optimizing your Web site for high ranking on search engines.
- Once your Web site is up and running you will need to update it as time goes by. You could either do this yourself or have an agreement with the designer for them to do this for you.
- Find out the time frame that the Web designer believes can be achieved to develop your Web site.
Do not expect your Web site to reach the top in a short period. It will take time whether you leave it all to the designer or take on some of the work on yourself. It is important to understand that your Web Designer is going to do a lot more than simply put an image on a page and add some color. A quality website doesn’t happen overnight. It is a process than can take weeks or months depending on the website’s size.